Friday, March 9, 2012

Pride and Embarrassment

All right. I confess. I used to write a soap opera. Okay, I've written three in total. The first one I wrote in junior high. I started it because my sister was doing it and she wouldn't let me read hers. The second I wrote in high school and was called "Where There's a Will." I loved that one. I still have it somewhere in my garage after all these years in the same blue binder I used for catechism. The most recent one was called "Secret Horizons" and was written about 2001. I loved that thing. I wrote on it every day for nearly two years. But life happened and I stopped writing it.

I mention this because the whole soap opera writing thing came up in conversation with a co-worker today. At lunch, I found its binder and returned to work with it, laying it on the co-worker's desk. I am immensely proud and ashamed of it at the same time. It is a big binder, one of those huge ones, and it is full. There were at least 125 "episodes" with four to five scenes apiece. Printed out, each episode was approximately five pages long single spaced. That makes my soap opera at least 625 pages long!

I am so proud of the work and dedication I put into it but I am so embarrassed by the genre. Its a soap opera! Its not even a cool genre. Its all over the top melodrama and evil twins. I've promised my co-worker she can read it but I'm having second thoughts. Letting people who don't know me read it is one thing but someone I know? How mortifying. And yet, maybe letting her read it will push me into rewriting it into something a little less corny. Or, I'll conveniently forget I promised and thus avoid any painful embarrassment.

Regardless, I loved writing it and still think about some of the main characters to this day. and for the record, there were no evil twins.

No comments:

Post a Comment